The days are finally getting longer, the sun is shining (very occasionally), and we’ve even had the first smell of BBQ in the air over the Easter holidays. So now spring has finally sprung in Sheffield, and It’s time to celebrate all the delicious treats our great city offers. So today, we wanted to share some fantastic foodie events happening over the next few months. There is something for everyone, from small discussions in the Festival of Debate to the massive Sheffield Food Festival.
The Festival of Debate
The largest annual politics festival in the UK is taking place right now across South Yorkshire. From 13th April to 26th May, The Festival of Debate hosts talks and discussions on democracy, inequality and climate. Whilst the connection to food may not be obvious, many of these themes are strongly linked to food sustainability and accessibility. When food is affordable, nutritious and sustainable we all win. We’d highly recommend the following events.
- Future Agricultural Technologies: Technology, Tradition and the Farming Future – DATE: Tue 2 May 2023, 1:00 pm – 2:30 pm, VENUE: Online
- The Nature Emergency: People & Communities – DATE: Thu 11 May 2023, 7:00 pm – 9:15 pm, VENUE: Dorothy Fleming Lecture Theatre
- Tackling Poverty & Injustice – DATE: Tue 16 May 2023, 2:30 pm – 4:00 pm, VENUE: Online
- Are Urban Green Spaces Worth It? – DATE: Thu 18 May 2023, 5:00 pm – 6:00 pm, VENUE: Online
- A Walk & Talk on ‘Growing’ Resilience in Our Places – DATE: Thu 18 May 2023, 6:00 pm – 8:00 pm, VENUE: Manor Oaks Farmhouse
- Just Access to Land – DATE: Fri 19 May 2023, 5:00 pm – 6:30 pm, VENUE: Quaker Meeting House and Online
- Participate in Shaping Sheffield City Goals – DATE: Mon 22 May 2023, 11:00 am – 1:00 pm, VENUE: ShipShape Community Hub.
- Creating Thriving Post-Industrial Cities – DATE: Mon 22 May 2023, 1:00 pm – 4:30 pm, VENUE: Alfred Denny Building, Conference Room and Online
Check out the festivalofdebate.com for the complete programme.
Food Festivals, Markets & Events
With better weather (fingers crossed), It’s time to get out in the Outdoor City. A whole host of food festivals, markets and events is on the horizon; you’ll be spoilt for choice. Just look at these delicious events.
- Good to Grow Allotment Open Day – with Green City Action – DATE: Saturday 22nd April, 1pm – 3pm, VENUE: Grimesthorpe Allotments
- Norton Craft and Makers Market – DATE: Saturday 22nd April, 10am – 3pm, VENUE: St James’ Church
- Food, Identity and Belonging – with The Sheffield Wheat Experiment – DATE: Sat, 22 Apr 2023 13:45pm – 16:45pm, VENUE: Firth Court
- Sheffield Food Festival – Showcasing the best of the city’s incredible local food and drink producers – DATE: Friday 26th – Monday 29th May 2023, VENUE: Peace Gardens
- Pollen Market – The Inner-city flower market with food, flowers, plants, home decor and much more. DATES: The third Sunday of every month, VENUE: Grey to Green, Castlegate
- Peddler Market – Street food night market with stalls, bar and music – DATES: First Friday & Saturday of every month, VENUE: Peddler Warehouse
- Get Together 2023 – Get Together has earnt a reputation as one of the best festivals for original and independent music, art, food and drink – DATE: 20 May 2023, VENUE: Neepsend & Kelham Island Areas.
- Rex Market – Kelham Island’s new shopping and street food event showcasing the independents of Sheffield. DATE: 28 May 2023, 11:00 – 16:00, VENUE: Kelham Island Area
- Nether Edge Farmers Market – Local market focused on fresh, local produce with music and entertainment – DATE: 18th June, VENUE: Old Nether Edge Market Place.
We are excited to try even more delicious food from local growers and makers this year.
ShefFood’s Local Food Action Plan Launch
Of course, we couldn’t do an event roundup without mentioning our very own ShefFood event. After a busy start to the year meeting with organisations and individuals across the city in our working groups, the new Sheffield Food Action plan is ready. We welcome everyone interested in coming to celebrate the Local Food Action Plan launch for Sheffield in June. There will be a panel discussion with heads of the working groups, including our partnership coordinator, Selina Treuherz. Plus, there will be a community meal afterwards. The event will be held at Victoria Hall, on the 17th of June, between 6 pm – 8:30 pm. Entrance is free, with a pay-what-you-feel option for the community meal. However, it is a ticketed event, so please register your attendance on our Eventbrite as spaces are limited: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/sheffield-local-food-action-plan-launch-event-tickets-616930083487
We are excited to celebrate this next chapter of Sheffield food!